Monday, July 8, 2013

Why Friendship?

I grew up oblivious to Kenya, oblivious to the inter-personal interactions that edged towards inter-ethnic conflict. I am told that my family was caught up in the clashes of 1992, and that I lived with my grandparents in the time that chaos overwhelmed the dusty town of Nakuru. But even then, I was too young for the memories to lay hold of me, to remind me that I could not grow up oblivious to Kenya.

My coming of age moment came in high school, quite late I must admit, perhaps it was also the time that it happened for many people, at least people who fall in my age category, 18-25. I was in Form Four at the time that the 2007-08 post-election violence, and I remember all to well the whispers in the corridors of Bruce House, the prayers offered up to God during 4 a.m. devotions, the observations from my friends, the fears and hopes that engulfed a nation. Everyone, I think, has a story about that time. Everyone who cares about Kenya, who has lived in Kenya, who knows someone close who claims to be from the country. I did not directly suffer any losses. I was safe for the entire period, and I am painfully aware what a privilege that is in this country. Months before, I had talked with a few young children in the area about the politics in Kenya. One child told me how he hated Raila Odinga. This shocked me, and since that day, I have kept wondering how our education has taught us to be Kenyan citizens, how friendship has taught us to look beyond the outer covering to the inner soul. I participated in drama and music festivals in high school, and such experiences filled me with great pride in the beautiful cultural make-up in Kenya. It sounds cliche, I know, but I fell for the narrative, the one that espouses Kenya to be a diverse landscape of peace and tranquility. Until my coming of age moment became coming to terms with this paradox: How we can take pride in both our ethnic and national identities yet live in the midst of great tension?

I have used my time in university to think about this paradox, to view it from all corners that I can, from the lenses that education has allowed me to explore. One of my professors told me to use my life to answer the question that keeps me up at night. I want to answer this question. I want to think and ask and research and explore, use my curiosity to engage friendship as a means of questioning my society, of understanding the place that I have called home for the last twenty-two years. I want to learn about friendships, because I have gained so much from my own, because friendship has sustained me, has allowed me to love someone who could look beyond me, could accept me just as I am, without the ethnic baggage, with the questions that keep me up at night.

I want to learn about your friendships. How has your experience been?


4 comments:

  1. Hello Miriam,
    Is it part of your research for people to respond to your 'final line' questions here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited by your research!! Excited by its content, because you're doing it in conjunction with UoN (how did you manage that?) Excited that you're doing it :-) All the best!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, sorry for this belated reply. I get notifications on a separate email address that I haven't checked in while...As a person studying in the US, I am not allowed to "legally" conduct research without being affiliated with a local institution. I applied to be affiliated with the UoN, and had to pay Ksh 3,000 for the appointment (some kind of tuition for the duration of my appointment), so the government could allow me to continue with my work. It's quite straightforward once you know what you need to do, but you need a lot of patience and work in advance because of the length of time it takes to get things done.

      Hope that very long answer helps. Thanks for your comment and hope to see your back. Also, check out the friendship survey in the right hand corner.

      Delete